Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day Two

 
I was up early early early this morning because I desperately wanted to go for a mountain run, but it was so dark. The sun really doesn't come up over the peaks until around 6:30 which seems a lot later than over on the east coast. Eric said that maybe this was because the time zone encompasses such a wide area of the west. Also, we are really high up here...something like 7,000 or 8,000 feet so the sun must have to work extra hard to reach us.

My run was amazing, but definitely a lot harder than usual considering the altitude. I left when it was still dawn, but when I came back the pinks and oranges of the sunset were just above the mountains. The air feels so fresh here and the sky is so clear and filled with sunshine. During the daytime hours it is about 25-35 degrees, but we only have to wear a shirt, fleece and hat because the sun is so warm.

I need to do a post about the lodge we are staying in because the art and collectibles are ridiculous. Forbes was apparently very interested in motorcycles and boats because he literally has thousands of them in every corner of this place. And there are soooo many paintings and works of art everywhere. When you first see it all, it is just too much to take in and you end up categorizing all of it into rooms and then move onto the next room. Eventually, I've slowed my eyes down and taking a good look at some of the work. You have to see it. It is wild.

MORE LATER

So everyone has been getting their drawing and pictures and objects together today. There has been a lot going on. People have been bringing a lot of bones back which is totally exciting me. I would love to find some bird ribs that I can use to make jewelry. My first great idea is to make a line of natural jewelry and photograph it. I have already found this bulbous twisted old tree trunk that I want to hang the necklaces on for my photographs.

I'm finishing up a drawing of the mountains. I used a technique similar to stippling except I used a little tree shaped form like this ^ instead of tiny dots. I am liking it so far for a beginning drawing. I haven't drawn anything in a very long time except for rough sketches and such. Hopefully, I get some drawings that I really like...maybe something I can frame!!

The most interesting thing that happened today was dissecting a cattail. I want to videotape it the next time I do it because the seedy things just explode from the stem.
Anyway, I think I am going to go to sleep soon because I am absolutely exhausted. Below are some more photos from yesterday. Enjoy!




And one from today!

2 comments:

  1. Cam! Your writing is beautiful and I needed to tell you that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Color Me Cameron,

    You second day sounded delightful. High altitude training is so great for you and you'll come back ready to kick butt. I forgot the mention that the Mexican style church sounded really cool. I would really love to take some pictures as the light filtered in from the windows. Was there any stained glass? Colorado looks so desolate, untamed and free. I really wish I could see it. Please keep taking pictures using macro.

    Je t'aime

    ReplyDelete