Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day Five

 
Day five, day five, day five...I can't believe it is day five! It is both incredible how much and how little work I am getting done given the amount of time I spend on art every day. I am making so much more work than I usually do in a semester because I only have to devote myself to art, but I feel like there is so so so so much time and possibility and I want to be making more! I really hope that I an tap into this energy when I am back at school. It might take a little more work, but it is well worth it.

I realize that I haven't really talked much about what the other students are doing which might give a greater perspective of what is going down here at Trinchera. Everyone has a very different style and vision. One guy has been very interested by the man made trinkets and decorations inside and outside the house. It is kind of ironic that he came to this environment just overflowing with beautiful nature and ends up focusing his art on the artificial world. It is definitely not a bad thing though because his art is very intriguing. Right now he is working with the diamond shaped Native American pattern found on many of the blankets, carpets and chairs in the ranch house. Looks promising.

Eric brought up an interesting topic about making environmental art your own. He says, "Things in nature are so intrinsically beautiful that it can be a struggle to make environmental art your own special creation." I hadn't really ever considered this before, but now that I think about I have probably made many artworks from nature that were uninspiringly dissimilar from their original form without even realizing it. It seems like an important thing to keep in mind if you want your art to be something worth while.

Today has been an excellent bonding day for everyone. After dinner, we took our first break since we have gotten here. People were playing pool and sitting around the fire talking. It made me realize how little I branch out at Middlebury. Everyone was talking about all these people in my grade whom I have never even met or heard of. It was crazy! There aren't even that many people in my grade. I feel so lucky to have this opportunity to get to know these people on the trip. I love it.

I saw a coyote today and he let me follow him snapping photos for quite a while. I couldn't believe how close he got to me. He must not have seen me. I was out climbing trees and taking pictures at dusk because we are supposed to get some shots of clouds and I liked the residue the fading sunset was casting upon them. I'll post them!

Here we go...





:)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Color Me Cameron,

    I did end up reading this post last night. even in my post wake up daze, I was still able to enjoy your spectacular pictures of the colorado sunset. Have the sun sets been nice there? There was a beautiful one as I was driving back from the snow bowl. Also, I'm pretty certain I dreamt about coyotes.

    It was nice to hear about what other people are doing. Sometimes you pictures are so desolate that I feel like you are out in the wilderness by yourself. It ironic that art made from nature might not be a stunning and provoking and beautiful as nature itself.

    ReplyDelete